Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Being Green

Kermit had it right. Being green may not be easy, but it can be great! I went to the Beaverton Farmer's Market on Saturday. It's one of the larger ones on this side of town. I was able to buy a ton of fresh produce for $20 total: carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, peaches, beets, dill, basil, bibb lettuce, bell peppers and flowers!!!
I've never seen purple bell peppers before. They're so pretty! They tasted a little bitter. More like a green pepper than a red or orange one.I think these are mums and dahlias. I got a deal since I was there during the last hour, and they were trying to unload their merchandise.It felt good to support local farmers. On top of that, you know exactly where the food is coming from, it's food that has been grown organically so pesticides and contaminants were not added into the environment and less fossil fuels were burned by purchasing locally and avoiding transportation across the country or even across the world. Better for the environment and better for your tummy!2Pac had it right too, "Let's change the way we eat, let's change the way we live and let's change the way we treat each other." I'm pretty confident he was talking about racial and social issues, but it applies to everything and all of us. Maybe if we put a little more thought into our actions, we might make healthier choices: for our bodies, our relationships, our society, our planet. By no means am I living a perfectly green life. Going to a farmer's market is my baby step to being green.

No comments: